Georgia Power recently released its timetable and other key update points for their wind turbine project on the Skidaway campus. The wind turbines will be installed in the large field along McWhorter Drive.
– The University System Board of Regents has signed a lease agreement with Georgia Power for this project at the large field on SKIO’s campus as we described previously.
– The term is for 2 years with an option for 1 additional year if needed to complete the research.
– Georgia Power plans to install the meteorological tower later this summer.
– Plan is to install the 4 turbines in 2016.
– To get good data covering all seasons of a year will likely require more than 12 calendar months after the turbines have been installed.
– Georgia Power contracted with Georgia Southern University whose professors have already started gathering data for the research project into avian and noise effects of the small wind generation technology.
– At the conclusion of the research project and before the lease expires, the small wind turbines will be removed.
– Skidaway Institute will decide whether to keep the meteorological tower for their use or not.